Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.

I was married in California several years ago, my wife sent

I was married in California several years ago, my wife sent me finalized divorce papers from Georgia which I signed and sent back to her. We are divorced in Georgia, are we divorced in California too or must I fill out paper work here in Los Angeles?
Thank you,
Boris Schaetz

Thank you for the information and your question. If your divorce was finalized in Georgia, then you are divorced, no matter what jurisdiction you live in. All states give equal recognition of legal precedent and actions in other States, if there was jurisdiction in the original action. This is the same idea as when you get married in one state and it is valid in all States. That said, you will want to read the paperwork to make sure that all issues were covered in the divorce decree. If you have children and they are with you in CA, then child custody would be under the jurisdiction of CA courts and a separate issue.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 17th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.