Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I received a bill form a medical lab for 18000 more than two

Customer Question

I received a bill form a medical lab for 18000 more than two years after the service was provided. Looking over the bill every item was double charged and not being an expert I suspect up coding and in bundeling. Also there were several different account numbers on the bill. I have always had 1 account number on other medical bills I recieved
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Arizona and the lab is out of Washington State. Another red flag to me possible pass through billing?? The are going to turn the bill over to the credit bureau on Wednesday thaey said.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: filed or reported to who
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have spoke with them on the phone and thay don't seem to have answers to my questions they just want me to send 18000 that I don't have. I am on a fixed income and recently diabled.
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Is this from a collection agency or straight from the lab itself?

.

Have you sent them anything in writing disputing the bill and asking for them to investigate the double billing?

.

What is your legal question I can help with this afternoon?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did not ask but they identified their self as the lab. I have not sent anything in writing I was going through the paperwork they sent me trying to figure out the way and what they were billing for. There are different account numbers for the same day of service with the same charges on them. It seems like they are making it hard to understand on purpose. I fell that there is fraud of some kind . I never heard anything about the bill for more than two years. I have good credit and don't want this put on my credit report but I don't have 18000 to pay either.

Ok, your first action should be to send them a written demand that they validate the debt by itemizing it in a clear and understandable way and explaining any charges in written form, not with codes and numbers that you have no way of knowing what they mean.

.

I would send the letter certified mail so you have proof of sending the dispute. Further, I would state something to this effect:

.

At this time I will also inform you that if your offices have reported invalidated information to any of the 3 major Credit Bureau’s (Equifax, Experian or TransUnion) this action might constitute fraud under both Federal and State Laws. Due to this fact, if any negative mark is found on any of my credit reports by your company or the company that you represent I will not hesitate in bringing legal action against you for the following:

.

Violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act

Violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act

Defamation of Character

.

If your offices are able to provide the proper documentation as requested in this request, I will require at least 30 days to investigate this information and during such time all collection activity must cease and desist.

.

Also during this validation period, if any action is taken which could be considered detrimental to any of my credit reports, I will consult with my legal counsel for suit. This includes any listing any information to a credit reporting repository that could be inaccurate or invalidated or verifying an account as accurate when in fact there is no provided proof that it is.

.

.

If you include that language, that will scare them enough to do their homework and verify if it is indeed your debt. However, if they do validate it and send you the proof, then they are still within the statute of limitations to collect on the debt as that is 3 years in AZ.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank You

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time. Hold their feet to the fire about explaining in clear English what the charges are for and why they appear to be duplicated on the bill.. Then if they don't take any action by that 3 year limit, they can't legally pursue you for payment even if you did owe some or all of it..

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

thanks