Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I had plumbing work done in April 2016. They had to dig our

Customer Question

I had plumbing work done in April 2016. They had to dig our slab on grade foundation. They did not pull a permit. We found this out when we started experiencing extreme settling of the home and methane gas in the area of the dig. We might want to sue the plumbing company. How are damages determined and can you get pain and suffering for all the time, stress, aggravation? Or is this strictly for personal injury?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

This would be a property damage suit, not a personal injury one as no one was harmed. It was your home and foundation that were damaged by their negligence. And unfortunately, since this wasn't a willful or malicious action to intentionally harass you, punitive damages and "pain and suffering" wouldn't apply here.

.

Your measure of damages is whatever it costs to hire someone licensed to repair the problems. So you can get a few estimates and then sue them for the highest one. Then you can negotiate with them or another contractor to get the work done.. If it is less than the award, then that is the money for your stress and frustration...

.

.

thanks