LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I was side swiped by a drunk driver on 10/4 in a crosswalk.

Customer Question

I was side swiped by a drunk driver on 10/4 in a crosswalk. He ran a red light. I am only bruised and I didn't break anything. The driver went on to hit someone else who is in critical condition. I was thinking of filing a personal injury claim against the driver for mental shock and stress. Do I have enough legal grounds to do so?
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you have copies of the medical records?
Customer: This was in Virginia. I have copies of my medical records. My insurance covered the Ambulance, X-Rays at the hospital.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't know. The other victim is still in critical condition at GWU hospital. Only family is allowed any information in regards ***** ***** condition.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is everything.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 8 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

The tort of intentional infliction of emotional distress has four elements that must be proved: 1) the wrongdoer’s conduct was intentional or reckless; 2) the conduct was outrageous or intolerable; 3) there was a causal connection between the wrongdoer’s conduct and the resulting emotional distress; and 4) the resulting emotional distress was severe. If this can be shown, then you do have a valid basis to file a civil lawsuit. Any medical bills/costs incurred can likely be recovered by the State, in the criminal proceedings, as a form of restitution but any additional damages, need to be obtained civilly.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do I have enough legal ground to go forward with a personal injury claim?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for the information. I don't think I have all of the elements listed.

It would all depend on the damages which you can show. By that, I mean what has resulted from this and can a value be placed on it. For example, you would likely need to be evaluated and under the care of a doctor, who would need to testify as to the extent of this and how you have suffered.
You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.