CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

How to obtain legal authority over my 86yr old father?..I'm

Customer Question

How to obtain legal authority over my 86yr old father?..I'm on disability..mentally astute!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

If your father is no longer able to make decisions for himself (lacks the ability to control his finances to provide for his basic needs (food, shelter, clothing), or is unable to care for himself, you may petition the probate court for a conservatorship or guardianship over your father.

I do recommend speaking with a local probate attorney to assist you in this process (the courts take this matter very seriously as a conservatorship is effectively removing some of your father's civil rights from him - he is entitled to a jury trial and an attorney to represent him in the proceeding).