Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have a valid judgement lein on money owed from ex husband.

Customer Question

I have a valid judgement lein on money owed from ex husband. He and his current wife own business property. Since this is
an associate court order I know I have to have lein transcribed by circuit court. Can I put a lein on property in Mo. That is titled
tenants in common? Missouri
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Yes, you can put a lien on a property that is titled as tenants in common. However, if this is personal debt and the property is registered in the name of a business, with the business being a an LLC/corporation, you cannot put a lien on that property because the business is a separate legal entity and cannot be held responsible for a personal debt. If the business is not incorporated/LLC--if the business is a sole proprietorship, then you can go after the business assets because the business and the individual are legally one and the same.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What is the statute of limitations on a promissary note in the satiate of Missouri?

10 years.

A 5-star rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive proper credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Has that been revised? Can you give me that statute #? I thought I was suppose to rate after I get my questions answered. I read that mortgages and promissary notes that stated specific schedule of payments and interest in the state of Missouri had a 3 year limitation

I have actually answered your question. You did not ask about Statute of Limitations in your initial post. I answered that follow up of question out of courtesy to you. I could have refused to answer that question and told you to open a new thread for that question pursuant to site policy as you never asked about Statute of Limitations in your initial post. In your initial post, you only asked whether or not you can place a lien on a property that is held in Tenants in common and I answered that question.

The answer to your question: See Missouri Statutes Chapter 516 Section(###) ###-####/a>. My answer remains the same.