Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am representing myself in a bench trial. Am I required to

Customer Question

I am representing myself in a bench trial. Am I required to present all of my evidence to respondents attorney before the date of
trial? Or do I present on day of bench trial? State of Missouri
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The court is supposed to have issued a pre trial order which dictates the order of the trial and dates for turning over exhibits to be introduced in trial to the other party. Exhibits that you plan on introducing in trial are supposed to be exchanged at least 5 days prior to the hearing in MO, unless the court's pretrial order says otherwise. Now, if you have exhibits that you are only going to introduce to contradict something the other party may introduce, called impeachment exhibits, do not have to be disclosed ahead of time as you only will use them if the other party introduces something else.
So yes, unless your court pretrial order gives different information you are supposed to send copies of documents you will introduce as exhibits in your case at least 5 days before the trial. Your judge has the right to change that.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.