Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

Can I leave Michigan while on probation for a misdamenor

Customer Question

can I leave Michigan while on probation for a misdamenor without approval from a judge or magistrate? i left phone message on PO`s voice mail & she know`s I`m soon going to florida for treatment ordered by the court within 14 days starting oct.11th. it was 4:12pm this past fri. that I called my PO & left her the message I was going,--- expected a return call tho no response. It is on my probation DC243
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: papers that I can reside in home in mi. or at home in fl.. so because the 14 days is getting so short to enroll in treatment in fl. & knowing the judge & PO know--is it safe to drive to fl. at this time without doing the" permission of the court to leave the state of Michigan" item which is #2 on probation papers also?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: punta gorda, florida. my address there is stated in probation papers. this is where I will have treatment when I leave from Michigan.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: only that--- there are no weapons involved, only alcohol.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 days ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and former prosecutor, and I look forward to assisting you.

Unless interstate travel for treatment was already included in the DC243 order, you are going to need the consent of the court before you leave Michigan in order to not violate the terms of probation.

If the PO will not return your calls, you are going to need to ask your attorney to motion the court for permission, which will, in all likelihood, be granted.