Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

Four months ago I had started dating a woman and one day she

Customer Question

Four months ago I had started dating a woman and one day she came to me and said that she had received an eviction notice from her landlord. I told her that if she got evicted she could come live at my house. I asked how much she owed and she told me $420.00 with no interest. I thought about it for awhile and offered her a loan, she said no. I asked what she was going to do and she didn't have any answer, I suggested 3 more time that I loan her the money and finally she said yes and took it. She said she didn't know when she would have it repaid but that within two weeks she was getting a paycheck. I said I trusted her. It has been 4 months now and no attempt to pay anything on the loan. We got into an argument over the phone one day and she told me to sue her. I said I didn't want to.
There has been several emails and texts and she mentions the loan but that she would pay when she can. She has had some health problems but so am I. I sent her an email today, as she had asked that I not call but contact her by email, and I mentioned that it had been 4 months and she hasn't paid anything on the loan I made to her. She asked me why I haven't called her and I reminded her of what she had told me in a text. Her message was that I kicked her when she was down. What are my legal rights to reclaim this regrettable loan.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 days ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Did you have anything in writing indicating that she was to pay it back?

Did you write on the check that is was a loan?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It was paid in cash and I have texts and emails where she and myself speak of it as a loan. I just got a nasty call from her about my email to her. Nothing in writing except the texts and emails.