Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Z we have a 49 year old son t that lives with y us. He has

Customer Question

Z
we have a 49 year old son t
that lives with y
us. He has lived with us for over 5 years .he has a job, makes $400. WEEKLK.
HE DOES LITTLE TO NOTHING..HIS ROOM IS IN SHAMBLES. I HAVE ORDERED HI. TO LEAVE AND HAVE RECINDED BECAUSE I FELT BAD,....BUT THIS LAST TIME I TOLD HIM TO LEAVE, HE SAID HE EOULD LEAVE AT END OF SUMMER..HE DID NOT GO..I TOLD HIM HE HAD TO LEAVE BY OCTOBER 31..WHAT ELSE CAN I DO
esr
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You need to make sure that you have given this notice to him in writing. Since you do not have any lease with him, you are only required to give him a seven-day written notice to vacate the premises. See North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 42 Article 1 Section 42-14. If he does not vacate the premises at the expiration of the notice, then you must file eviction action in Court against him in order to remove him from the premises.

There is no self-remedy to eviction actions in North Carolina. This means that you cannot change the locks or throw his things out in order to force him out. You must use the Court system to accomplish the eviction. Eventhough he is your son, he is considered your Tenant and thus you must follow the procedures for evicting a Tenant in order to remove him from your home.

The eviction case would be filed at your local Courthouse where you can obtain the eviction forms. You can also download the eviction form online.