Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

One of my neighbors built a huge skateboard ramp in his

Customer Question

One of my neighbors built a huge skateboard ramp in his backyard. I am shocked that the town gave him a permit! If somebody is injured I'm sure they will sue the homeowner but since the town gave him a permit aren't they liable as well? Thanks!
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Jersey. I called five neighboring towns and none of them would issue a permit to build a skateboard ramp!
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not sure what you mean
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's it, i'm going at it with the town council and one of my points is they are nuts for issuing a permit and i think they are liable if someone is injured, other kids come and use it and i'm sure if they get hurt they would sue
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I do not see how the town is liable for anything if this is on his private property and in his back yard. The town does not own his back yard and as a property owner HE is liable for any injuries from hazards on his property. Just because the town issues a permit does not make them liable in the event someone is injured on private property any more than they would be liable if someone falls in your house after the city issued you a building permit for your house.