Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I have discontinued internet services with Centrylink. They

Customer Question

I have discontinued internet services with Centrylink. They have billed be for early termination. I have not signed anything that enforces this agreement and I don't want pay them nor do I have the money to pay them. Anything I can do?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Did you have a term agreement with them and did you sign for installation of the equipment? Did you agree by phone to service for a period of time?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Unfortunately yes to all three questions
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I'm too poor to call you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
A typed answer will be fine
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Is this a free trial as advertised?
I am sorry, the experts do not send out those phone requests, the site does without the expert's knowledge and the experts are not site employees so we have no control over what the site does. You can ignore that request.
Unfortunately, even if you do not have a lengthy signed contract, the agreement to the terms verbally and signing the installation agreement bind you to the terms of the contract. If you try to cancel the contract prior to the end of the term, they can indeed charge the early termination fee.
Your only legal recourse is to call and negotiate with a supervisor at Century to remove the charge. You would have to argue they failed to provide the quality service they agreed to provide and give them specific details of their failure in order to get them to agree to waive the fee, but if they refuse, legally I am afraid they can and do still bind customers to the agreements they entered and will pursue these early termination fees.