Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I need to find some things out. I had to admit my wife to a

Customer Question

Hi, i need to find some things out. I had to admit my wife to a mental hospital because she was having suicidal thoughts and she let me know so i had to act on it. she has been to this place 3 times so far but this time they strip searched her. one of the main reasons she is Bipolar is because she was sexually assualted by her girl baby sitter, fisically abused by her ex and mother was a mental abuser. They know this. When i called her tonight she told me what happened. I called back and ask why but didn't give them mine or cheryls name. but they said it was policy but they have never done this before. this place is for mental drug and alcoholics. they had her strip and bend over and spread her butt cheeks, i know by her voice that this bothered her. and now im pissed is this something that should have been done to someone who was so abused before?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: texas, no i just now found out
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: can i talk on the phone
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, if someone is suicidal there is no law actually preventing strip searching the patient, especially since patients have been known to hide items that they could actually harm themselves with. If the hospital admits a patient and they manage to harm or kill themselves in the hospital, even with something they secreted into the hospital/facility, the hospital is civilly liable for their harm. So these hospitals become very cautious with suicidal patients. I understand that she has been there before and was not searched, but legally it is not illegal or malpractice for them to do so, even though it may be traumatic to a former victim of abuse (they do very invasive exams to rape and sexual abuse victims as well which are extremely traumatic, but legally permissible).
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.