Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

My bank (BOfA) took out the entire balance on my savings

Customer Question

Hello Pearl. My bank (BOfA) took out the entire balance on my savings account with the narration Legal Order, LTS D100716000479. Upon enquiry I was referred to a number to call. I've called the number 4 times and left a message. Its for the homeland security and they haven't called back. What coukd be the reason for this withheld balance? I received no notice and I am out of the country
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: non-resident. What does USCIS stand for?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: filed or reported to who?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've run the account for 12months without any issue prior to now
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Only someone who works for the Department of Homeland Security can tell you exactly what happened. However, the bank might also be able to help. If the person you talked to was at the regular customer service center, try talking to someone who works in Legal Order Processing. They should have more information on why the money was taken. Try calling(###) ###-####

They do send you a notice when the levy is processed, so if you have a friend or relative who you trust to check your mail, that's another way to get the information. It can take a couple of days for it to get to you from their offices after the money is taken out. Once you know exactly why the money was taken, you'll be able to determine how to proceed.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** have the notice. How do I get my funds back and do I need to hire legal council to get this. I'm currently out of the country for next couple of months.

Again, it all depends on who took the money and why. I would need that information before I could tell you anything else.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
From the notice received, it looks like the bank funds are being held by the bank based on receipt of a seizure warrant which required them by US law to debit/restrict access to my account. The bank claims to have the money held in a safe deposit and will continue to do so until they are directed by a court order to release the funds. The notice further said to contact the US Immigration and Customs enforcement if I believe the order should not apply to my account. I have contacted the provided number 6times and am still unable to speak to anyone as the calls all went to voice mail.

Then I'm afraid the next step is to wait. Government employees typically don't work on weekends, so no one could have called you back for the past couple of days. Their offices will open in about an hour. It might help to try again then. If it's a mistake, it can be fixed, and you don't need a lawyer. If they took money for something you don't believe you owe, you COULD handle it yourself when you got back - but you might want to hire someone to help if you don't want to wait 2 months.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Lucy, i'd rather not wait. I'd like to hire someone to get my funds back. Access to my account at another bank appears to have been blocked yesterday. I need this dealt so I'm not cut off from funds and have no money

That makes sense. A good place to find an attorney in the area where you live is www.martindale.com. You're looking for someone with experience in civil litigation, but it might also help to look for a lawyer with experience in Immigration, since the order to take the money came from ICE.