David Stewart
David Stewart, Attorney
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law
95745447

I have a civil case against me on Nov 17 but the parties

Customer Question

I have a civil case against me on Nov 17 but the parties involved trumped up charges against me so I also have a criminal case December 9the issues relating to the criminal trial also effect the civil trial see my wife died march 1 2016 her brother is attemptimg to kick me off he land sincewe were married but e thinks we were not while the county lists me on Vehicles accessed as mark husband our marriage liscenxe was lost frm Clark County we married December 25 2007 long story I am just asking can I get the civial one day unlawfull retiner be continued until after my court date I the criminal matter is rsolved on December 9 2016 I am in Northwest arkanas
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ARKNASAS I MISS MY LATE WIFE SHE NEVER WANTED THIS TO HAPPEN BATTLED HEALTH ISSUES FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yES I HAVE A LAWYER FOR THE CRIMINAL TRIAL AND THE NOVEMBER 16 REPLEVIN CASE AGAINST ME IS ILED PROBLEM IS MY ATTORNEY ERRORED BY RELEASINGDOCUMENTS THAT I TOLD HIM NOT TO RELEASE AND THIS IS WHY IT IS CRIMINAL I FIRED HIM AFETER HE EXCUSED HIM SELF FORTHE MISTAKE
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i DONT HAVE LEGAL COUNSEL NOW i JUST NEED TO KNOW IF i CAN GET A CONTINUANCE ALSO HAVE A DOC APPT ON November 16
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  David Stewart replied 1 month ago.

Hello: I am really sorry you are having such a difficult time. The answer to your question is yes, you can get a continuance on the civil case. To get one you need to contact the attorney representing the party that is suing you and ask if they object to your getting a continuance. If they don't you should file a motion for a continuance and state in it that the other side of the case does not object. If they do object, you will need to state your reasons why for the continuance and get the judge to make a decision. Here is a link to a very simple motion for continuance you can fill out and file in your case. http://www.bedfordmuni.org/documents/MotionforContinuanceCV.pdf

I hope this helps you! All the best, David