Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Have a small claim in Chicago county I am in KC court is

Customer Question

have a small claim in Chicago cook county I am in KC court is Tuesday, I haven't been able to find a lawyer that would help, nor someone to file a counter of continuence for me, Plaintiff is Chicago based I am 600 miles away. Any ideas? Their lawyer talks about statutes and other stuff I have no idea what they are
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

At this time, you would need to file an emergency motion with the court, asking for a continuance. In the body of the motion, you need to explain to the Judge why you need more time and can not appear and what you have been doing, since being served, to prepare. You need to contact the clerk of court immediately and see if this can be mailed or faxed over, since it would not likely get there in enough time, if send via mail. In addition, you can see if the Judge would at least allow you to appear by phone, if the continuance is not granted, to avoid being defaulted. A Judge would rather the case be decided on the merits, rather then by default, so you do need to reach out to all parties and make them aware of your inability to appear and explain why and ask for additional time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Clerck office doesn't let me to do any of it they say I have to personally appear which costs 900 dollars and 2 days

Personally appear at the hearing or the file?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I like to talk on the phone also but what you wrote is done already and I can't physically go there spend about 900 to get an extension to do it again, I need a lawyer to look at my pleadings and counter and approve the language for Cook county also any ideas,? Contacted 55 law firms the cheapest was 2500 retainer at 350 an hour the dispute was 150 dollars they cliam 2500 for stop payment I put on their check because they over charged and didn't deliver in time

You clearly want to fight this, so the decision needs to be made to either do it on your own and spend the money and appear or retain local counsel and IF you prevail on your defense and/or counter claims, ask to be awarded attorney fees, so you are paid paid, for the cost incurred to defend this.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!