Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I am now 65 and trying to get a Medicare card. The name I

Customer Question

I am now 65 and trying to get a Medicare card. The name I have used for 65 years is Liesel, a nickname for Elizabeth. Only my birth certificate and thus my passport have me as Elizabeth. How can I legally prove that nicknames are ***** ***** proof of both age and citizenship?
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Birth was in Germany, current residence is California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you for asking.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your nickname is ***** ***** going to be an issue with SSA, in most cases. You will need to provide them proof that you are the same person referred to by your nickname by matching your SSN to the nickname and your real name. See:
If they give you a real hard time about this, it is actually simpler to just change your name by filing a "Name Change Petition" in the local court and change your name legally to your nickname and it would allow you to change your driver's license, passport and birth certificate all into the same name. It costs about $500 to file and you can get the forms at the court from the clerk's office or self help desk and you do not need an attorney to do that as a last resort if SSA will not accept your proof.