Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

A married attorney took 20 years of my life and had a child

Customer Question

A married attorney took 20 years of my life and had a child he wanted ....followed me around with promises and I lost everything......his wife passed away and he is in assisted living...I lost everything I was working for with his promises......He told me our child is in his will NS I AM ON SEC 8 AND FOOD STAMPS.....HE ALSO KEPT ME FROM ANOTHER LIFE WITH HIS LIES AND PROMISES.........AFTER 20 YEARS DOES HE OWE ME ANYTHING ???
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Do you have proof he promised to pay for your care and support you for the rest of your life?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No Proof , but have every card and letter he ever sent to me , calling me ***** ***** ...We bought a home together and when I no longer believed in him I took our child and moved away and he followed me with more lies and promises......and when our child turned 21 he moved away to Bozeman MT and is now in assisted living.....Another man fell in love with me and asked me to marry him and when Ralph found out he promised me he was leaving his wife and moving to a condo and I moved back and everything was another lie......I can pass any lie detector test and I lost 2 different inheritances because of his lies
Thank you for your reply.
The CA courts recognize the concept of palimony, which is support for a non-married partner. See: Marvin v. Marvin, (1979) 18 Cal.3d 660 [134 Cal.Rptr. 815, 557 P.2d 106].
However, these cases are not easy to bring. You need to prove you performed valuable services him or his company or employer. Or you would have to prove that you worked together to create or enhance anything of value. You also have to prove that you had an expressed or implied agreement regarding property sharing or support. So, you bear the burden of proving these elements in order to file suit against him for payment or palimony based on the relationship you had with him. You would have to get all of the mail, cards, emails or other evidence you have proving these things together and would need to bring them to a local attorney to be evaluated to see how strong of a case that you can make for payment.