TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

If I have come to a agreement before going to court and it

Customer Question

if I have come to a agreement before going to court and it is in writing, do I still need to file an answer form with the court?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Arizona
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: the plaintiff sent me a contract, I imagine they sent a copy to the court?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 12 days ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

If you were sued, and it settled, then I would confirm with the Plaintiff that it intends to dismiss the lawsuit. However, if the lawsuit is not dismissed by the time the deadline to file an Answer approaches, then I would likely file a basic Answer which denies everything, and informs the court that a settlement has been reached. At the least, the Answer will prevent the court from entering a default judgment against you. After all, if the plaintiff is not diligent in dismissing the case, and a judgment is entered against you, then you have the headache of trying to get the judgment vacated. But before filing an Answer, I would confirm with the plaintiff that it will dismiss the lawsuit, and ask for the date when the dismissal will be filed.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)