Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

What paperwork do I have to fill out in order to start a

Customer Question

Hi, What paperwork do I have to fill out in order to start a Small Claims Court filing.? Can I find the paperwork on the internet & if so, where.?! 1st time for me & I feel intimidated. I plan to file it in Mission Viejo, CA.
Also, what is the cost and how long does the process take before you are standing in front of the Judge...
Thank you for your help.! I really was happy to find your help online. Respectfully,
Teri ****** (*********)
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 12 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 12 days ago.

Here you file your complaint and have other party served.The court clerk gives you a scheduled date for trial and you go and present to the judge,There is a small filing fee.

These hearings usually last no more than a couple of hours.

Forms and self help

Expert:  Ray replied 12 days ago.

Orange County sets hearing dates out from the date of filing anywhere between twenty and seventy days out from the date of filing. Orange County also offers night court for small claims court cases. However, you need to make the request for night court when you file your case.

Expert:  Ray replied 12 days ago.

The self-help centers are available at each location Monday-Thursday from 8:00AM-5:00PM and Fridays from 8:00AM-3:00PM.

Expert:  Ray replied 12 days ago.

The Harbor Justice Center’s Small Claims Court Division can be reached at(###) ###-#### A small claims plaintiff can file here if any of the above events happened in these cities or areas: Aliso Viejo, Costa Mesa, Dana Point, Irvine, Laguna Beach, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Woods, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Newport Beach, Rancho Santa Margarita, San Clemente, and San Juan Capistrano.

The Self-Help Center is located on the Second Floor in Room 202.

Harbor Justice Center – Laguna Hills Small Claims Court

The Harbor Justice Center is located at:

23141 Moulton Parkway

Laguna Hills, CA###-##-####/p>

This will be your court and self help center.

Expert:  Ray replied 12 days ago.

The forms you will need to file a claim are:

• Plaintiff’s Claim and ORDER to Go to Small Claims Court (SC-100) and Information for the Small Claims Plaintiff (SC-100-INFO). Or, for your convenience, the forms are listed in the local Self-Help Center Small Claims forms packet (SHC-SC-01).
  • If your claim is about lawyer-client fees, you will also need to fill out and file an Attorney Fee Dispute (After Arbitration (SC-101) .
  • If you are suing using a fictitious business name, you will also need to fill out a Fictitious Business Name Declaration (SC-103) .
  • If you are requesting the clerk to serve the defendant by certified mail, you will also need to fill out a Certified Mail Statement (L-1091) .
Expert:  Ray replied 12 days ago.

Complaint or other first paper in unlimited civil case (amount over $25,000), including:

GC 70611, 70602.5, 70602.6 $ 435 This is your filing fee here for small claims it is added to judgment if you prevail here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is always much appreciated.