Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I am a Texas teacher. My wife is ill and I absolutely need

Customer Question

I am a Texas teacher. My wife is ill and I absolutely need to bring in more money to support us. I have returned to a district after a one-year absence but have recently been offered a reputable consulting firm in New Jersey. I do not feel as though I am abandoning my district. I am doing what is best for my wife. Advice on possible ways to actually make this work?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, often what people "feel" is not what the law provides. If you signed your contract and you now want to leave in the middle of the contract, you must have district permission. Failure to obtain such permission can result in revocation of your teaching certification for "unprofessional conduct," regardless of the fact you are doing this because of your wife's health. If you need leave under FMLA, then you can ask for it, but just quitting in the middle of your contract is not just breach of contract but unprofessional conduct and grounds to lose your teaching credentials unless you negotiate an exit and get approval from your district.