Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I just was asking a question and paid $35 and was never able

Customer Question

I just was asking a question and paid $35 and was never able to sign in to accouint
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i paid with pay pal
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: texas
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My father owns property that is in his name and my mothers name. my mother is deceased and my brother and sister are also deceased. i am power of attorney for my father, how can i take my mothers name off deeds of property
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am the only child
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
did you get my question?
thank you yes I did, please allow me time to type a reply.
Thank you for your reply.
So, if your mom died and the house was titled in her name and your father's name as joint tenants in common, then you need to file some form of probate to have her removed (either small estate, under $50K, or muniment of title if your mom died less than 5 years ago). If the house is titled in joint tenants with right of survivorship, you can remove her name by taking a copy of her death certificate to the property records office and get them to modify the deed.
So it all comes down to exactly how the home is titled as to whether or not probate is required in some form (which would need a local attorney) or if her death certificate can simply be taken to the clerk of property records for modification.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How would I find out if title is right of survivorship? find out how title is written?
Thank you for your reply.
You have to go to the property clerk's office in the county where the property is located and get a copy of the deed from them to see how it is written.