Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

I would like to know if it is OK to date your attorney

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. The prohibition against having sexual relations under California and American Bar Association bar ethics rules applies to attorneys only. In other words, the prohibition is against attorneys have sexual relations with a client they are representing, meaning the punishment is born by the attorney if they violate the rule. The ethics rules also can cover situations when there is no sexual relationship if the relationship creates a conflict of interest between the attorneys duties as an attorney and their involvement with the other party.

You can read more about this issue by going to the CA Bar website and reading a fairly good article on the issue at this link: http://apps.calbar.ca.gov/mcleselfstudy/mcle_home.aspx?testID=12

If the attorney violates the rule, they can be disciplined, up to and including disbarment in some rare cases.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 13th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.