Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I contracted for a bathroom remodel. I was told it would

Customer Question

I contracted for a bathroom remodel. I was told it would take 2 to 3 weeks. They started aug. 16, did not finish until oct. 12. They stated proplems getting tile and so forth. I believde I should bde compensated for the delays.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Did the written contract you have state they guaranteed completion by a specific date? Did the contract provide for penalties for not completing on time?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was told the appx. days by a company rep. No written or penalities were stated.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We are a one bathroom house. I explained this before I agreed to the project.
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, on these construction contracts, the dates are "approximate" as you said. If there was a good cause reason for delay, approximate means just that an estimated time to complete the job. An estimate is an educated guess. If the job went over time promised, without some written contract specifying a guaranteed completion date and penalty, legally you could not sue them for damages for not completing on time as there is no written guarantee based on what you said above.
The only basis to sue would be breach of contract, so if they did not do a proper job or competent job or failed to do some work promised, you could sue for that breach of contract, but not for being late in completing the work because of material delays.