Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

I'm wondering how it takes for craigslist to release a

Customer Question

I'm wondering how long it takes for craigslist to release a user's IP address. Somebody has been harassing me and I want to proceed To prove it. The police are involved and trying to get a subpeona
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Wisconsin. And she made fake profiles several times over last month
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Police said they are working on getting a subpeona. Do you know how they work?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I did a police report several times.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'm 90% who the woman is,but I need to be able prove it. Will it be easy for lawyer to try and get the court to issue subpeona to Craiglist? What about dating sites? I was signed up for sites,and it included my phone number. I need to track down who did this,and and prove it
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Once police get a subpoena and serve it on a company, they have 30 days to respond by producing the documents. To get a subpoena, they need to go through the district attorney, which can take a few days depending on the case load the DA is dealing with. Once they get it, since you're not in the same state where Craigslist is located, then they need to talk to a district attorney or US Attorney in California to help them file the subpoena and get one issued by the court in the other state. That, unfortunately, can take a few weeks.

The process is more or less the same for dating sites. Police need a subpoena that is issued by the courts in the state where the company is located. If you're dealing with the FBI, it can be a little faster, because they're already in place in every state. Police can also subpoena cell phone records if she's calling/texting you, and that's the same process.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.