Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.

Someone told me that he can help me make money based on what

Customer Question

Someone told me that he can help me make money based on what I had in my bank account, and I have trusted him and gave all of my money, card, and bank account to him. After that I have realized that he was trying to create a fake bank fraud to make money, and I was afraid that I was assisting him for this crime. Then, he took my money away. When I met him again on the street, he used a gun to point at me and told me if I report to the police, he will kill me. What should I do at this point.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 9 days ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

This is a very difficult question for me to answer, since I don't know how seriously you take his threats (although, if he pointed a gun at you, I'd say it sounds pretty serious), or how much money was involved. I can say, however, that if you report it to the police, it is likely he'll be arrested. If he's convicted, he'll likely be ordered to pay you restitution, but I would have serious doubts whether this person has the money to pay you back. In my experience, people who commit crimes like this usually don't have a great deal of money.

As far as your concerns that you committed a crime, that depends on whether you knew he was doing anything illegal. In order to be a party to his crime, you must be aware of his criminal activity. Being innocently duped is not enough to constitute a crime on your part.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It was 4800 dollars, I was really scared. I am an foreigner and this is the first time I have ever seen a person point a gun to me. Now, when I see a black dude, I am afraid. I did not exactly how he will make the money, but he told me to do some weird thing with the bank. After I have shown the messages to my friend. They told me that he was going to make a fraud to get the money from the bank. But before he did anything with the bank, he took my money away. I do not know if I have violated the law or not. Because I am a foreigner, and I do not know the laws, I do not know know if it is legal or not. I want to report to the police because my life was threatened and it is affecting my life now, but I am also afraid that the police will arrest me for doing this.

Like I said, if you were unaware that he was engaged in illegal activity, then you did not commit a crime. If you though this was a legitimate way to make money, you should not have anything to worry about from the police. If you were aware this was illegal, and there are messages to support that, you may get in trouble for it.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
If I knew it was illegal, but we did not make it happen. If I go to the police for it, what will happen to me? What are the possible charges?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 7 days ago.

If you didn't actually follow through, you are unlikely to get in any trouble, especially if you are the one to report it.

Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 3 days ago.

I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go.