Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Can my wife stop me from coming back to my house?

Customer Question

Submitted: 11 days ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 11 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. I am going to assume your name is on the deed to the property or your name is ***** ***** lease if it is a rental. If it is not, let me know.

If the assumption above is correct, then the owner/tenant (i.e. you) cannot be stopped from coming back to the property. However:

1) She can stop by by filing a restraining order, called a Protective Order in VA; and

2) She can call the police if things get violent upon entry, who will respond. Thus, it is best to keep things cool and calm.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.