Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I am having a problem with my storage units new owner. I had

Customer Question

hello, I am having a problem with my storage units new owner. I had an agreement with the old owner to make up some payments. There was a problem with my unit leaking, and I stopped to make payments several times but there was no one in the office. I got several months behind and had an agreement to get caught up with them. I made a dbl payment in april and then my vehicle decided to cost me a large amount of money. I was unable to pay again for a while and I called and informed him of my situation. I then got a new job that I worked at for a month that was supposed to be better pay and costed me less to travel to. I worked for a while and got my first check but did not cash it immediately, I waited until I was supposed to receive my second check to deposit it in my bank. And then the owner ripped off all of the employees an did not give us our checks or any money due to us for the work we did. I found out that the first check was no good at that time either. So I was again unable to afford to make a payment. I contacted the unit and the owner said that he no longer owned the business and I talked to a woman that stated she was the new owner, she was willing to take payments on what I owed. I finally got a new job and get paid on the 15th of this month so I contacted the units office last week and told them I would like to work on getting caught up with them at this time. A man answered my call and said he was the womans husband and that I owed a year of back pay and that they would not hold my unit unless I paid it in full immediately and that I owed $480.00 then he proceeded to tell me that it suddenly went up to $750.00 when I stated I would not pay anything if my unit was not intact. he wanted payment immediately and I told him I did not get paid until the 15th of the month. he said I had to pay in full $750.00 on that date or I would not get my property. I was never informed in writing that the unit was being sold or that the prices were being raised if that is why I owe $750.00 no instead of the $480.00 that it should be. my unit was $35.00 a month and $40.00 a month with late fee attached. Do I have any legal right to make payments on my property? What do I do if I cant come up with the $750.00?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Missouri
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet I wasn't sure how to proceed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i think that's all at the moment
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Is this unit in Missouri or in Canada? Just need to make sure...thank you.