Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I sold my mobile home, they paid me $5000 of total and was

Customer Question

I sold my mobile home, they paid me $5000 of total and was suppose to pay balance on October 1, 2016. The phone number she gave me no one answers and I have called many times. What is my alternative and should I offer her money back? Do I keep a portion of it as her loss?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi LaVerna. Since she is not paying this voluntarily, you want to file suit against her. If the amount if under $10,000, you can file this in small claims court without a lawyer. give you the collection options and leverage you need to collect the debt owed you. That's because once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if she doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on her for a debtor examination. That forces her to meet you in court again and answer questions under oath about her assets. After that information is obtained, you have the power to attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property she owns to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!