Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.

Our prior office manager signed for a letter at the PO from

Customer Question

Our prior office manager signed for a letter at the PO from the IRS advising of a lien hearing and apparently disposed of it. Would this be considered mail theft? Had she given the letter to us, owners of the company, we would have learned of her embezzlement and failure to pay company taxes. Obviously we didn't attend the hearing and only learned of the IRS tax lien recently. They actually have the signature card on file confirming she signed for it.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. What you described would only be a criminal mail theft if the office manager did not have, as their duties, the right to sign for mail and packages on behalf of the Company. If they did routinely sign for theses types of items as a part of their job, then there wouldn't be a separate criminal charge of mail theft. Of course, there is still the embezzlement or theft charges that might be prosecutable. All that said, she could be sued under tort law for the embezzlement and the theft of the letter. That would be in civil court though.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If none is needed, then if you could leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 13 days ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the . For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.