Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

We recently bought a relative's home in New Smyrna Beach, FL

Customer Question

We recently bought a relative's home in New Smyrna Beach, FL that was in Probate for over three years. The law firm has not handled matters very well and because of poor communication has caused us to miss the time period to purchase homeowners insurance within 30 days of closing. Also, the law firm did not keep the house insured while it was in Probate and I am not sure if that is proper or legal.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean filed or reported? I have contacted several insurance providers such as Allstate and State Farm to get homeowners insurance. They have quoted very high premiums due to missing the 30 day window within closing. And to top it all off, I still do not have paperwork or a deed for a house that closed on July 15, 2016.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. The law firm has recently sent the estate documents to all 14 of the beneficiaries of which I am one. ONe of the beneficiaries is scheduled to receive a greater percentage than the rest even though his relationship is the same to the deceased as other beneficiaries. I cannot get an answer as to why that is.
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

If the delay in insurance was caused by the law firm's negligence, I would demand that they cover the difference between the regular premium and the increase caused by their professional negligence.

If they will not, then pay the premium and sue the law firm for malpractice.

You can file a motion with the probate court to compel an accounting to determine why one beneficiary is getting more.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!