Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I have received a check from Aurora National Life Assurance

Customer Question

I have received a check from Aurora National Life Assurance and cannot figure out why. It is in the name of my husband and me - my husband died in 2003. The amount is $99.oo - to my knowledge I/we have or had no dealings with this company. I am thinking that if I cash it I be scammed in some way. Can you give me advice?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: The address on the check is Connecticut, I live in Arizona.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not that I know of.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so, and thank you for assistance.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There have been reported check scams involving this company, where people send out fraudulent checks from the company. There is no way to know about the check and whether or not it is valid besides contacting the company directly at
The company will have to research the check to determine if it was from some very old policy or if it is a scam.