LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I live in upstate New York, and I have received a letter

Customer Question

hello, my name is***** and I live in upstate New York, and I have received a letter from Forster and Garbus in regards ***** ***** debt in the amount of 685.80. The creditor that is now seeking payment for this debt is Jefferson Capital Systems. I had done some research on them, and I know who the original creditor is. I do owe this debt, but Forster and Garbus had said in the letter that there is no attorney that has personally reviewed the case and have made no determination as to whether a lawsuit will be commenced. My question is should I contact Forster and Garbus myself, or should I contact a consumer lawyer to negotiate the debt. I am unable to pay the debt in full.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in New York, this debt is only 2 years old. Has not reached the statue of limitations and is not time-barred debt
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: As in regards to?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do owe this debt and would like to pay it, but I am unable pay in full
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: ok. I have 30 days to answer this notice as you may already know.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Because the debt that you owe is relatively so small, you will not need, or want, to retain an attorney to assist you in negotiating the settlement and compromise of the bill.

As a general rule of thumb, many collection companies will accept between 50% and 70% of the total debt owed if you agree to pay it in a lump sum within a matter of about a week after you reach the agreement.

So don't worry about contacting the collection agent, Forster and Garbus. Just explain to them that you want to enter a compromised settlement and that you are willing to pay then 50% of the amount they claim you owe if they will accept that as payment in full. That is a good place to start the negotiations.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Hi Meri,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon Meri,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug