Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I NEED TO FILE A LIBEL CASE AGAINST AN OFFICER AND A

Customer Question

I NEED TO FILE A LIBEL CASE AGAINST AN OFFICER AND A PROSECUTOR IN WASHINGTON COUNTY MINNESOTA. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO START?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state you're in?
Customer: MINNESOTA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NOT YET, MY CASE WAS DISMISSED BY THE COURTS AND I WANT TO RECOVER MY DAMAGES
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I DON'T THINK SO
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. This is a very open-ended question. Are you asking:

1) How do I file a claim?

2) What causes of action can someone in my situation use?

3) What is the liability protection of a state agency?

4) Etc.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i need to know the forms needed for Washington county 10th district, and if i need to send notice to the attorney general first and what form that is, and who to send that to. I know the libel is not protected because it is ministerial. I can prove my monetary damages to the penny. How long is the statute of limitations? My charge was July 2nd, 2016 the dismissal by the court was Aug. 29th, 2016
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is the phone number
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your call request. The site allows the expert to opt out of the call request, and I must respectfully ***** ***** not worry - other experts receive the request as well, and the first available expert calls. They will also have your question and my replies to build upon, so nothing will be lost.

A Notice of Claims letter must be sent to the state prior to suit. This is a very complicated matter, and whoever calls you can handle that aspect better.

To sue someone, a complaint is needed. This complaint is normally drafted, and no forms are available for such a specific matter. Forms are simply common pleadings pre-drafted to be filled out; complaints are seldom reduced to forms as each one is unique.

There is a 2 year statute of limitations for Minnesota defamation causes of action. However, note that someone in your situation may have other causes of action to add to the complaint, including but not limited to malicious prosecution, false imprisonment, and/or abuse of process, depending on the situation.