Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

In 2013 my wife passed away, I was her fourth husband,she

in 2013 my wife passed away, I was her fourth husband,she has a trust pention fund from a union job she had. how do I , or what steps do I need to take to get this pention in my name?so I can collect it when I retire.
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: california
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i spoke with a woman right after her death , i wasn't in any condition to address this issue, nand mailed a death certificate to them
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no nothing comes to mind
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What does the trust state about the pension, you need to get a copy of that pension plan description, because if you are not listed as a beneficiary the terms of that pension plan govern?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when I spoke to the pension people they said I had to prove that :
1- I was her current husband
and
2- the dissolution of previous marriages
Thank you for your reply.
Okay, so, please explain what your specific question is for us? Have you obtained the records they are seeking? Were her previous marriages ended in death or divorce? Do you know where the divorces or deaths occurred?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know where to go get these on line, but do they have to be ," stamped or certified by the county where the devorce took place?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know where two out of three occured
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
two devorces one death
Thank you for your reply.
You would need to get a certified copy from the clerk of court's office in each place where the divorces occurred. Once you have those documents stamped (I would get 2 copies and keep a set for yourself for safekeeping), you would then file them with the pension administrator and they already have the death certificate. You also need a true copy of your marriage certificate which you can get from the clerk as well.
You can also obtain a copy of the death certificate from the vital records office on the deceased husband.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.