Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I recently had my main roof and smaller extension roof

Customer Question

I recently had my main roof and smaller extension roof redone.The proposal stated a "full Rip and replacement." Cost, $11,050. The Project Manager wrote on the initial handwritten contract "No additional expense." The written contract from states, "he above prices are for the services described above. NO additional services will be billed as a change order to this invoice." The problem is when they worked on the smaller extension, the contract stated the roof was weak and needed beams to secure it (which turned out to be appx. 8 new 4x4's which were shored up next to the original boards). They frightened me about the roof falling in and charged me an additional $2,200 stating that the roof needed additional work. When I requested When I requested a written statement on the work to be done, I didn't receive it until after the work was completed and all the items listed were inflated, while other items were part of the original contract. They never had me sign their contract (Proposal), and I want to know do I have to pay the additional amount? I live in Brooklyn, New York.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Brooklyn, New York
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet. Not sure who to report it to!
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Before I agreed to the" Tear Off," I explained to the Project Manager and the office that my husband and I are on a fixed income because we are retired and my husband is bed ridden due to illness. I felt the price was high, which prompted him to write, "NO ADDITIONAL EXPENSE."
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 14 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Just to be clear, they did the additional work with your permission BUT did not tell you what the cost would be or that there was an additional cost? You also have a contract that states that there is no additional cost for anything, other then the $11,050?