N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983

How can I get money back from a person who told me they

Customer Question

Hello How can I get money back from a person who told me they would pay me back I have the bank statements and a copy of the checks made out to them? do I have a case? Thanks
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: The state is billings montana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No I haven't started
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The whole story was I was helping someone close too me and they wanted to times a relationship? it was always Hey can you help me with the rent or car insurance etc.. I know I was stupid!
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 10 days ago.

Thank you for your question.

Which State is this in?

How much are you owed?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The State is Montana, city Billings, The amount is over 25k over almost three years!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She and her Daughter had no place to live for almost a year so I opened up my home to make sure her and her daughter had a safe place to stay. She told me she would pay 300 dollars a month and she did at the beginning, but she stopped paying me I think because her father had passed away! So I think she just lost something? So after a year of not paying me she moved out.

The only remedy I know of is to sue her, and unfortunately she owes you a lot more than the $7,000 Montana small claims court limit.

You can find local collections attorneys listed here.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney before the statute of imitations runs out on some of your claims.

I hope this information is helpful.