Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I hit a parked car while trying to park my truck and didn't

Customer Question

I hit a parked car while trying to park my truck and didn't leave a not note till the next day however the owner had already called the police, what is going to happen to me now?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: Florida 2009
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have contacted the owner and they have a police report I think.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If the person has actually filed a police report, and they gave the police your information, then you could be charged with leaving the scene of an accident under FL Statutes 316.063, which is s second degree misdemeanor.

.

""316.063 Duty upon damaging unattended vehicle or other property.—

(1) The driver of any vehicle which collides with, or is involved in a crash with, any vehicle or other property which is unattended, resulting in any damage to such other vehicle or property, shall immediately stop and shall then and there either locate and notify the operator or owner of the vehicle or other property of the driver’s name and address and the registration number of the vehicle he or she is driving, or shall attach securely in a conspicuous place in or on the vehicle or other property a written notice giving the driver’s name and address and the registration number of the vehicle he or she is driving, and shall without unnecessary delay notify the nearest office of a duly authorized police authority. Any person who fails to comply with this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083."'.

.

A misdemeanor of the second degree is punishable by up to 60 days in jail or a $500 fine. But I don't think jail time is a real possibility as you did return and give them your info so you are likely looking at a couple hundred dollar fine at most.

.

.

thanks