Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I am scheduled to have a deposition on Thursday, however I

Customer Question

I am scheduled to have a deposition on Thursday, however I have been trying to find another (replacement attorney) and have been unsuccessful. Can I ask to have the deposition rescheduled?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The reason for the deposition is because I missed a date that I was supposed to report something for - and I missed the date because I was in the process of finding a new attorney and didn't realize I had something due.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 15 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 15 days ago.

Yes write or email the other side here and ask for it to be rescheduled for 30 days so you can locate new counsel.Copy the court.They should agree to work with you here.Thirty days is reasonable and the other side should grant you that.It is worth a try to delay this briefly in order to comply later on.You can locate a lawyer here in 30 days under Illinois courts and procedure.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
One other question - they are requesting copies of my personal banking records, my business banking records and the banking records for my fiancee's business - his business info, I do not have an issue with by my personal and business banking? is there anything I can do to stop that? I feel like my privacy is being violated.
Expert:  Ray replied 15 days ago.

They can ask for this information.It doesn't have to be directly relevant but has to lead to relevant information which can lead to relevant information in other words pretty much anything.But here the finance has no relation if they are not a party so I would argue you have no control over his records or access to them and they aren't a party here.

Expert:  Ray replied 15 days ago.

I wish you the best here.I appreciate the chance to help.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
His records are directly related and I don't have an issue with those. They are accusing me of stealing - which I did not do.
It's MY records. I am a private person and do not like idea of someone else shifting through my personal financial information.
Expert:  Ray replied 15 days ago.

I understand but likely it is discoverable under the rules of discovery.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  Ray replied 15 days ago.

You are welcome here is the rule on scope

Supreme Court Rule 201(b)(1) establishes the basic scope of discovery in Illinois. It provides:

] party

may obtain by discovery full disclosure regarding any matter relevant to

the subject matter involved in the pending action, whether it relates to the claim or

defense of the party seeking disclosure or of any other party, including the existence,

description, nature, custody, condition, and location of any documents or tangible

things, and the identity and location of persons having knowledge of relevant facts.

If you can rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.