LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

I have been accused of breach of contract and it is my

Customer Question

I have been accused of breach of contract and it is my position that I never entered into the alleged breach of contract and they are threatening to send me to a collection agency so I want to find out what I can do to prevent this
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: California, it began in 2015
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i think that is it the amount in dispute is $4K
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 18 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Can you share with me what they are alleging?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
They are alleging that I owe for fraternity yearly dues and I never signed anyting indicating I planned on continuing to participate in the fraternity. I paid my yearly dues of $4K for the first 3 years but chose not to participate for the last year and they claim I owe them the yearly fee of $4k but I specifically did not sign the document to continue being an active fraternity member

Thank you. Yes, if your contractual obligation to pay the dues ended and you never signed anything, agreeing to continue to pay them, then there is no legal basis for them to go after you. The burden is on them, to show and support, with evidence, that the money is owed. If the contract expired and you never signed anything, their lawsuit will fail. If they do turn this over to collections, you have a right to dispute this under the FDCPA and ask them to validate and support the debt or else the collection agency must cease collection efforts.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.