Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I'm terribly confused. I went on a cruise with a friend. One

I'm terribly confused. I went on a cruise with a friend. One morning I went into port by myself. Thirty minutes after I was back on board I was paged to the Medical Center. My friend was there, not unconscious, but incoherent with very blurred speech. The doctors asked me questions, I answer honestly. They asked for his meds & passport and said they were going to take him to a hospital in port. The long of the short of it is that by the time I did all that they asked me to do, I got back to the Med Ctr and he was awake and furious, claiming that the doctors were incompetent and that I had something to do with it. He now is telling me that he got a $4k bill on his credit card for medical services and it's my fault based on "doctors notes". He says "my attorney is prepared to drag you through the mud and the deep derails unless you pay me back". Am I in trouble? Can he do that?
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: We were in Grand Caymen at the time. We live in TX. It happened the afternoon of Thursday, 09/29/16.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: All I've seen is the email he sent this morning.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I don't think so.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Did you "authorize" any treatment on your friend's behalf? Or did the medical staff simply do whatever they thought was mandatory, and all you did was answer a few questions and fetch their passport and information?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, I didn't authorize anything, nor sign anything to that effect. As far as I would tell the medical staff simply did what they thought was necessary and I just answered their questions and did what they asked me to do.

Thank you. Then either your friend is misinformed, or, they are bluffing. Someone in your situation did not DO anything, or SPEAK ON THEIR BEHALF while they lacked capacity without a proper power of attorney.

Assuming that this is confirmed in a court of law (should they be silly enough to sue), there should be no liability.

One may wish to remind your friend that Texas allows sanctions to be field against a party that files a malicious and meritless lawsuit. See here:

www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CP/htm/CP.9.htm

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** *****
You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to RATE my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT that rating – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please use the REPLY or SEND button to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.