Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I need advice from Gaming Lawyer in Pennsylvania. No. I have

Customer Question

I need advice from Gaming Lawyer in Pennsylvania.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. I have question about PA Skill game machine if they are legal and which locations they can be installed and if there is anything government is doing to make it illegal if they are legal now.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just a minute
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The company has some documents about winning the case on their web site at http://www.mielemfg.com/downloads
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would like to know if the location owner need to have any specific license, like liquor license, or any other requirements in order to have this machines. We are planning to install in convenience stores and gas stations.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The PA courts use the Dominant Factor Test, which is based upon four criteria: 1) Participants must have a distinct possibility of exercising skill and must have sufficient data upon which to calculate an informed judgment. 2) Participants must have the opportunity to exercise the skill, and the general class of participants must possess the skill. 3) Skill or the competitors efforts must sufficiently govern the results. 4) The standard of skill must be known to the participants, and this standard must govern the results.
See: Commonwealth v. Dent and Watkins, where the court held that poker was a game of skill and not subject to the gambling laws.
Each machine case is determined on a case by case basis depending on the type of machine and if it is found to be a game of skill then no violation is deemed to have occurred.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would like to know if the location owner need to have any specific license, like liquor license, or any other requirements in order to have this machines. We are planning to install in convenience stores and gas stations. is there anything government is doing to make it illegal, like a bill introduced something.
Thank you for your reply.
So far there has been no move to make this illegal. If the games are considered games of skill, no licensing is needed as it is not considered a gaming device.