Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

I moved from Hawaii to Florida and hired a moving company to

Customer Question

I moved from Hawaii to Florida and hired a moving company to ship my household goods. They are hugely damaged. I am going to take them to small claims court. The company is based on the west coast, and I am wondering if I can sue them in my state of Florida, where they delivered my goods, or will I have to sue them in California or Hawaii where they are based?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I moved from Hawaii to Florida. The company I hired is based in California with an office in Hawaii.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have not filed anything yet, however I have reported the damages along with pictures to the moving company.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. We paid $16,000 for the move, and were assured that we would have professionals loading and unloading our goods. Turns out we had a bunch of kids loading our possessions, and they did a very poor job, with lots of expensive items damaged beyond repair, and on the unloading end in Florida, they company hired strangers off Craigs List to unload our goods, which resulted in more damages as well as leaving us wide open to robbery in the future. We are frightened about that. We are senior citizens. We paid allot for their professional service and did not get what they promised.
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

There are two issues that a court will look at if you try to bring a case against them. These are personal jurisdiction and venue. Personal jurisdiction has to do with whether a company has sufficient contacts with a state that they should be subject to the laws of the state. In this case, personal jurisdiction would most likely be found because the company moved you to Florida. Therefore, they have sufficient contacts with that state (they are doing at least some business there) to be sued in the state.

Additionally, there is the issue of venue, which will look to whether bringing the lawsuit in Florida makes sense based on convenience. Here, it would probably make sense because the damaged goods are located in Florida.

I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide a positive rating!