How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 23155
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can prosecuters file charges in absentiaa, missouri,

Customer Question

how can prosecuters file charges in absentiaa
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: missouri
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the case is from Nov. 2007
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 12 days ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 12 days ago.

Are you the defendant on this case? When did you learn of it?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 12 days ago.

A defendant can be charged in absentia, and there is no law which prevents that. A defendant is never present at the filing of the actual criminal charges. That's frequently done by the DA's Office before a defendant is taken into custody. Also, a criminal justice system would be entirely ineffective if all a defendant would have to do to avoid a criminal case were to hide out until the statute of limitation expired. Once charged, however, a defendant can't be tried or convicted in absentia without due process of law.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Related Legal Questions