Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I have been taking two different controlled drugs (Adderall

Customer Question

I have been taking two different controlled drugs (Adderall & Dexedrine) for over 8 years and recently my Internist (been my GP for over 15+ yrs) called me and said that I was flagged by DEA as I was getting two similar drugs from two different doctors. The 2nd Doctor is my PSYCH Dr and I have been seeing him for over 10 years since I moved to Bethesda MD. My questions are having DEA and my two doctors talk without my permission violate my privacy? I am still going to get the Rxs going forward from them but Express Scripts sent letter saying I cold only fill at 1 location going forward and I frankly took one of the 2 Rxs to a local mom/pop pharmacy bc they never run out and offer much better service. I am upset by for years this has been fine with insurance and my doctors and now without my consent or knowledge Insurance & Pharmacists at CVS (who can sometimes treat you like you're a criminal) have been reviewing my case and making new rules for me that frankly I find offending at the least. I know everything is a choice but I feel violated somehow but not sure why?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 18 days ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 18 days ago.

My questions are having DEA and my two doctors talk without my permission violate my privacy?

No, or at least not in a way that was illegal. HIPAA has a specific provision that excludes law enforcement and law enforcement investigations. Since the legislatures have now made it illegal to go to multiple doctors and get multiple prescriptions then they would be allowed to talk to the doctors and force the doctors to talk to them.

I only saw this one question but you're welcome to ask follow ups.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.