Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer
Experience:  Law Clerk for 7 years
95838073

Live in Ala. I owned house prior to marriage of 7 yrs. if my

Customer Question

Live in Ala. I owned house prior to marriage of 7 yrs. if my spouse drives his car or someone else drives it and is involved in accident and is at fault could he be sued because it was his car involved AND THEY TAKE MY HOUSE I HAD BEFORE I KNEW HIM? I pay the taxes but I am his wife. Had house 2 yrs. before I knew him. Please reply.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 1 month ago.

Hi Ruthie, is the home still in just your name or is it jointly owned by you and your husband since your marriage?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In my name only before and presently.

Then you are be protected. The only way a third party could come after your home to satisfy a judgment creditor of your husband's or another driver he lets use his car would be if your husband was also listed on the home as a owner. So long as the home remains in your name only, any debts of your husband cannot be collected against it.

I hope this answers your question. If so, please kindly accept my answer and leave a positive rating. This is the only way experts are compensated for their time. If you have a follow-up question, I'm happy to help with that too. If not, thank you for using Just Answer.