LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

My father's wife deserted him. I got him n sent him for a

Customer Question

My father's wife deserted him. I got him n sent him for a mental evaluation.He receives SS benefits with his wife. It is time for the next step but the hospital has to consult his wife to get financial info. How can I become guardian over my father since his wife put him out and he is I'll and needs long term care
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Only a court can make an order appointing you as your father's Legal Guardian. If your father is unable to care for his own affairs, or even if he is borderline and agrees to have to act on his behalf, the court will grant you guardianship.

Guardianship are not automatic though and your father would be best served by you obtaining a local Probate Law attorney near where he is residing to apply for the Legal Guardianship.

On a side note, if his social security check is deposited into a joint bank account with his wife, it is important that you get him to the bank to open a separate account so his wife can't steal his money (nut don't close that account yet) and take him to the local social security office to help him notify social security of the new account number for his direct deposit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good morning,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good morning,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug