CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My grandmother's home was raided by the police with no

Customer Question

My grandmother's home was raided by the police with no search warrant. At the time we had some family and friends over and were playing xbox when all of a sudden police were heard outside yelling commands for all to exit the home 1 by 1. Once everyone (including my 98yr old grandmother) was out of the house we were taken by police cars to a random location by the river bed and sat on the curb for at least 7 hours wgile police destroyed the inside of the house. Every window was busted out by cans of gas or some burning choking gas that still as of tpday has not cleared from the house. Nobody was arrested, nothing was taken from the house, and they had no warrant. I need help on paying for all the damage done.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to learn of this situation - but this doesn't sound like a police search.

I am worried that you were victims of a home invasion and you need to contact your local police department to report a crime against you (and your grandmother).

While these kinds of violent impersonations of law enforcement are not common, they do happen, and when they do law enforcement needs to know about them because it is very important to stop these individuals (they are committing very serious crimes and law enforcement will take your report seriously).

Law enforcement does not conduct raids in this manner (doing so would destroy evidence, render any evidence they did obtain inadmissible in court, and eliminate any chance of a conviction if they did find evidence of a crime), and they do not do so without a warrant.

As far as compensation, if law enforcement finds the individuals responsible, you can usually get a criminal restitution order (so if they have assets you can collect against them), and you may qualify for compensation from the state victim restitution fund (the police department or District Attorney's Office will assist you with this).

Your grandmother's home insurance is another source of compensation that can usually help you more quickly.