Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

I'm defending myself in civil court concerning a contractor

Customer Question

I'm defending myself in civil court concerning a contractor agreement. Do I have an open and closing statement. If so what can be said. Can u give information out on the closing that hadn't previously been brought up during the trial? Can I pass on the opening and reserve it for the closing.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 15 days ago.

Yes, you will be given an opportunity to present an opening and closing statement. The opening is generally used for stating your position in the case and what you intend to prove. The closing is generally used to summarize you you have proven and/or what the plaintiff has not proven.

In terms of giving information out in the closing that hadn't been previously been brought up - you can't present new evidence or new facts. You can just comment on the facts or evidence that has been presented.

And yes you can pass on an opening if you wish.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How do I submit into evidence a document I just received. (From Aberdeen police) Court is tomorrow

During your presentation of your case, you would need to provide the document to the the court, ask that it be marked as an exhibit. You would need to supply a copy of the document to the plaintiff. Then you would explain why the document is relevant to your case, and ask that it be submitted into evidence. Since it is from a police department the court will likely accept it into evidence as a public document.