Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

Just sold a house about 3mounths ago it went through an

Customer Question

just sold a house about 3mounths ago it went through an inspection and we fixed every thing they wanted but the dish washer caught fire /i installed it everyone thinks we remolded the house but we really only gave it a face lift /paint /flooring /doors . i just got a call from an investigation company wanting to know about the dish washer i.e. how old make modle who installed it i am worried i am liable for fire we are in washington state
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: nothing filled in court only fire dept
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we had no idea the dish washer was going to fail we used it for over a year no issues /i have not called the investigator back i looked at his web site kinda scary
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 19 days ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Has the cause of the fire been traced back to faulty installation or something else you may have done?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 19 days ago.

What was it traced to ? What was the cause?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
the fire dept says faulty dish washer but i got a message from a fire foresics guy wanting i dont know if hes working for the ins company or the people who bout the house
Expert:  Loren replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

If the dishwasher was defective then that is not, necessarily your problem. It would need to be traced back to something you did which caused the fire. In other words, there would need to be a showing of liability on your part.

Unless you are subpoenaed or otherwise court ordered you have no legal obligation to speak to the investigator.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
what if they say it was my instal that failed
Expert:  Loren replied 19 days ago.

Then you have a problem. However, I would find it difficult to believe that a faulty installation would not reveal itself for over a year.

Ultimately, these sort of claims boil down to your expert vs their expert. These things are never as cut and dried as you may be led to believe and you can find an expert who will say the installation was fine and the fire was caused by a defective solenoid or a piece of plastic that was not supposed to be placed in the dishwasher.

Expert:  Loren replied 19 days ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 19 days ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Thank you!
Expert:  Loren replied 17 days ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
in washington state after everthing has closed escrow can i be held liable they had a house inspection
Expert:  Loren replied 8 days ago.

It is possible, but they would need to show that you knew or should have known of the defect. Otherwise, it would be difficult to hold you liable.

Please remeber to leave a favorable rating so that I am compensated for my time.

There is no additional charge to you for leaving a 5 star rating.

Thank you.